Our churches have a long history of linkage and union.
As far back as 1605, Hume and Stichill Churches were united, and Hume closed for good in 1640.In 1938, Stichill was united with the Cairns Memorial (UFC) Church, located less than a mile away in Stichill Village. The union with Nenthorn Church was effected in 1949, with Nenthorn continuing to be used until 1974. The church was closed and sold in 1980 – 81.
Makerstoun and Smailholm Churches were linked with Stichill in 1975, and Roxburgh Church became part of the mix in 2001. These linked charges became a union in 2005, but it was impracticable to continue to use all six names of the original charges on every official mention of the newly united parish
Late 2006 saw the adoption of the name, Kelso Country Churches.
June, 2010, saw the linkage of Kelso Country Churches with Kelso Old and Sprouston Parishes. This link was broken in June 2016 and at the same time a new link with Oxnam Kirk was established. As the latter linkage was found to be impractical due to geographical distance, it was broken in October 2018.
Jim Smith, our Session Clerk, is fascinated by the history of these parts, especially the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and has been going through the archives of local and other newspapers of these times which are now available on line.
Jim has been studying these newspapers and unearthing a fascinating account of what life was like then.
Through the newspapers, we see the trials of the local people and how they lived. The news is dominated by “the Farms”, “the Kirk”, “the Courts”, “the Village School” and “the Big House”. The church had a huge influence in those times. How times have changed. And it also provided much of the social interactions for all ages.
The books are interspersed with photographs, many of which are his own.
If you would like to purchase one or all of the books, Jim would be delighted to hear from you. They are £10 each and all proceeds will go towards church funds.
Contact Jim on 01573 470 250,